The February 9 attic fire at the new marijuana dispensary in Mashpee will delay its opening, which had been planned for March 1, but now will be between April 1 and 15, according to Jonathan Herlihy, chief executive officer of Triple M, the owner of the dispensary.
State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey, Mashpee Fire Chief Thomas C. Rullo and Mashpee Police Chief Scott W. Carline said in a statement that the cause of the fire was electrical and accidental. Property damages are estimated at $25,000.
Firefighters from Mashpee and mutual aid from Sandwich, Cotuit and Centerville responded to the scene at 29 Echo Road, Mashpee Fire Captain Joseph E. Peltier said.
The fire started in a ceiling void space and spread to the attic, the statement from the authorities said. Heating cables recently installed to prevent water pipes from freezing ignited nearby cellulose insulation.
No one was inside the building at the time of the fire, the fire department said.
Mr. Herlihy said firefighters ripped out the sheetrock ceiling in the vestibule and put out the fire in the attic.
Ninety percent of the building, including the dispensary area and patient education room, was not affected other than by the smell of smoke, he said.
The Mashpee dispensary is not equipped with an automatic sprinkler system, the fire department said, since automatic sprinklers are required only in buildings that exceed 7,500 square feet.
Mr. Herlihy said that until the Mashpee dispensary opens, Cape Cod patients can purchase cannabis products at Triple M’s medical marijuana dispensary in Plymouth’s industrial park. That dispensary opened February 8.